<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> Recorder's Office3 _
  Home Government Center Commissioner's Office County Offices Elected Officials Calendar  
Home > County Offices > Recorder's Office3
Recorder's Office

Military Discharge Records

The Indiana State Statue IC 10-17-2 allows you to safeguard your discharge papers by filing them in the County Recorder’ Office.  This service is free of charge to you.  The original documents or a Veteran’s Administration certified copy may be filed Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. 

When your papers have been recorded, the original documents will be returned to you and you will receive a certified copy.  You may also obtain additional certified copies at no additional cost to you. 

DD-214 forms are used to document military service in a number of cases including the following:


Home Loans     (www.homeloans.va.gov)


Health Benefits (www.va.gov/health)


Student Loans  (www.gibill.va.gov)


Identification     (www.va.gov)


Burial Benefits  (www.cem.va.gov)

Protect your important military papers by filing with the Madison County Recorder. Please, contact us with any questions at (765) 641-9616.

Thank you,
Linda Smith
Madison County Recorder

Replacing a Lost DD – 214

The National Archives and Records Administration is the official depository for records of military personnel separated from the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Marine Corps.  If you have lost or misplaced your Official Discharge Papers, aka DD-214’s, and if you have recorded it with the County Recorder’s Office, you may obtain a certified replacement copy from the Recorder at no cost to you. 

If you have not recorded your DD-214 with the County Recorder, you may obtain an official copy by contacting the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records at: 9700 Page Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63123-5100.   Or you can click on this link...http://www.archives.gov/research_room/vetrecs/.


Please see an important message from our Madison County Veteran Affairs Officer…

 The discharge needs to be on file with the county recorder for state, federal, and county benefits; and for the families benefit after the veteran passes, to ensure he or she receives proper honors.  We have approximately 25,000 eligible veteran’s files in our office.  But, according to the American Legion we only have 15,000 of those veterans registered with the county.

Thank You,
Macy Fuller
Department Head
Madison County Veteran's Service Officer
Phone: (765)641-9651

Phone and Website Listing for Veterans




Site Map

16 E. 9th Street, Anderson, IN 46016 - 765.641.9480 © 2010 Madison County, Indiana- All rights reserved
For assistance with ADA related issues, contact Webmaster@MadisonCounty.in.gov
Privacy Policy / Disclaimer - Website created by the Madison County Council of Governments